Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Hate at First Sight - Prologue

Prologue

 It was around exam break when I saw that website. I could have just ignored it but I didn’t. I was surfing the net to check out high schools in Japan. Of course, like most teenagers, I randomly typed ‘number 1 high school in Japan’ in Google, just to find out how it looks like and such. A link popped up on my screen with the words ‘Sakura Academy. The best school in Japan- equipped with all the facilities you need…’ Curious, I clicked on it, expecting to see the usual brick wall, rusty fences and dying tress kind of school, instead, the image I saw almost made me fell off my chair. There, on my screen, was the most amazing and beautiful school I have ever seen. The dorms were beautiful and there was a garden, lake and even a clock tower! I slowly scrolled down the page and an advertisement of the school came into view. The school was inviting average junior high school students to submit their results through e-mail or fax, play a little quiz and the winner will get to study and live in that school, all with a scholarship! The aim for this advertisement is to attract non-rich students to the school, for practically 90% of the students there are rich.
After I finally received my final exam results and graduated from junior high, I immediately emailed my results to the school. Of course, I wasn’t expecting that I would win, but there was that one in a million chances that I could win, so what the heck! I played the quiz, which was seriously random because the questions were ‘What drinks do you like?’ or ‘What is your favorite color?’ and such. Still, I answered all of them anyway. The next week when I signed in to my email, I received an email from the school saying I was chosen and would be attending school the next semester! This time I really did fell of my chair and ran down the stairs with a printed copy of the email in my hand to show it to my parents. They couldn’t believe it either but encouraged me to go because they were convinced it was my results that were the reason the school had chosen me to study there. Truth to be told, compared to the other students in my last school, I was considered to be one of the top ten students. And because of my ability to memorize anything within five minutes, some of them think I’m a genius! But what they don’t know is that I have absolutely no sense of direction (unless I’ve been to the same place many times), and have no long term memory (for things that don’t interest me anyway), sucks isn’t it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment