Chapter 3
That evening, I turned my wardrobe inside out trying to find at least a decent dress for the night. I didn’t have many dresses, since I always preferred jeans or pants. Then I remembered something. Before I left for school, my mum handed me a box and told me to open it only for emergencies. And right now this is an emergency. I pulled out the box from under the bed and opened it, inside was a blue and white dress with laces at just the right places and sequins to give it a classy look. I held the dress in my hand, it looked really beautiful. I immediately changed into it. It must have been tailored made, for the dress fits perfectly with my figure.
I stared at the tall mirror, sure the dress looks good on me, but without makeup or a good hairstyle, it just doesn’t feel right. Just then, someone knocked on my door. I looked through the peephole; it was Haruki and a girl. I opened the door for them, but before I could say anything, Haruki was already talking.
“Mi-chan, the dress is gorgeous!” Haruki chirped, “Though we got to get your hair done first.”
After that, Haruki pushed me onto the bed and started pulling and tying and clipping my hair while introducing the girl that was sitting beside her, handing her the items she needed.
“This is Kido Michiko; she’s also a special student. The number two in the whole school,” then she turned to Michiko and said, “She’s Teshigawara Nozomi, you’ll like her, she’s hilarious and has a very cool fashion sense!”
Michiko smiled and said “Pleasure to meet you. I hope we can be friends.”
I immediately returned the smile, “Yeah, nice to meet you too.”
“Mi-chan, could you take off your glasses? I’m going to start with the makeup now.” Haruki said, so I took my glasses off and placed it on the table beside the bed.
After Haruki was done with my makeup, she stood in front of me, obviously satisfied with how I look. “You look absolutely stunning! Doesn’t she Ko-chan?” Michiko nodded with agreement.
I was about to put my glasses back on when Haruki reached out and grabbed them from me. “Don’t wear your glasses, Mi-chan. You’ll ruin the makeup and all my hard work! Don’t you have contact lens?”
I nodded and pointed to the dressing table. I always hated wearing contacts, they’re kind of uncomfortable and they make my eyes tired easily. That’s the reason why I always wear glasses, even though sometimes it’s inconvenient. But Haruki was right; wearing glasses while having makeup on will be like not having makeup on, totally ruining the effect. I stood up to walk to the mirror.
Michiko handed me my contacts when I reached the dressing table. I stared at myself in the mirror, even though I could barely make out my image. Wearing contacts has always been the hardest part for me, sometimes it goes in without any trouble, sometimes it just refuses to enter my eye. Luckily tonight, my contacts slipped into my eyes easily. I silently thanked God. It would be too embarrassing in front of my new friends if I couldn’t even wear contacts the right way.
After I adjusted the contacts, I slowly looked up to see my reflection. A pretty girl with wavy hair was staring back at me with an astounded look on her face. Is that really me? I just couldn’t believe it. Haruki saw my shocked look and chirped happily, “You can thank me later, because right now we’re going to be late if we don’t rush.” Michiko then grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards the door while Haruki took my bag from the bed and locked the door with my keys.
We entered the elevator as soon as the doors opened wide enough for us to enter, but before the doors could close back, a hand reached out and grabbed the side of doors, the doors automatically opened again and before our eyes. A guy with short brown highlighted hair stood. He was wearing a black tuxedo and looked absolutely hot! I couldn’t help but drew in a breath and stared. Just then Haruki lunged forward and hugged him right there and then as the elevator door closed behind them. Michiko and I just stood there, unsure of what to do.
“Kimura, you look just amazing!” and Haruki released her hug. She smiled at him and pulled him towards us. Michiko finally realizing who it was, came to her senses and greeted Kimura. “Wow! Nice tuxedo!” she complimented. Kimura blushed lightly and patted his tuxedo. “Thanks, Haruki chose it!” then he looked at me, from head to toe, as if inspecting me and broke into a wide grin. “You look great, Nozomi!” It was only after I heard my name did my brain start functioning again. “Err…thanks. You look great yourself!”
We reached the school hall just in time, the music was blaring so loudly that my eardrums was going to burst! The dance floor was already full of people dancing and chatting, so the party had begun long before the reason for the party arrived, which was somehow a relief because now I can slip into the party unnoticed. I looked around the school hall, Haruki and Kimura was already dancing on the dance floor and Michiko was trying to avoid a group of boys that were coming on to her. Then my eyes stopped at the middle of the dance floor. A totally hot guy was standing there and he was surrounded by a group of girls that were trying to ask him to dance with them. He wore a white tuxedo and his hair was ruffled to give it a casual but formal look. His light brown eyes sparkled when the spotlight hit him. Gawd! Was he gorgeous! And then my blood froze when he started to look up. He stared at my direction for a few moments and started to walk towards me. He was just a few meters away when he casually said ‘hi!’, like it was no big deal. I turned my head back and looked to see if there’s anyone behind me. Because this hot gorgeous guy couldn’t possibly have noticed me. I checked every direction; there was no one except me. When I turned my head back to face him, my eyes caught his eyes and we just stared at each other. The sound of loud music seemed further away and it felt like we were in our own world and not in a crowded school hall.
“Hey, are you going to be silent for the whole party? It’s bad enough that I’m the one who came talking to you,” he said and smiled a cheeky smile.
My face went red in an instant. “No…no…it’s just that I thought you were talking to someone else…”
“Why would I be talking to someone else when a beautiful girl is standing here?” he said, his face had a slight blush. “Anyway…want to dance?”
I stopped myself from screaming out a ‘YES’ and squealing like a crazed fan girl. I put on my ‘I’m thinking about it’ face and after a few seconds, I smiled and said yes. His face immediately lit up and he held out his hand in a very gentlemanly way. I slowly placed my hand on his and he guided me to the dance floor. Along the way we passed the group of fan girls and I felt their eyes throwing daggers at me. I silently cheered for myself.
We reached the middle of the dance floor when the rock music stopped and a slow music started playing. He smiled and seemed to like the sudden change of music. His hand slipped through my arms and I shivered a bit when he placed his hand on my waist. I slowly placed my hand on his shoulder and we started to dance. All through the dance we were staring at each other’s eyes. After the dance, he whispered in my ear and said he wanted to dance with me again. But of course, I had to play the hard-to-get game first, can’t always give boys what they want.
“But…there are plenty of girls waiting to dance with you,” I said.
He shrugged a little and said, “They’ll live. But for now, I want to dance with you again.”
“But I don’t even know your name…”
“Then I’ll introduce myself. My name is Sakamoto Ryuichi.”
And with that I froze. Impossible! That jerk-face was this hot gorgeous guy!? At first I felt depressed, then I felt angry at him, but more at myself, how could I have dance with that jerk-face! I clenched my fist and turned to leave when Ryuichi grabbed my hand. “Wait! You haven’t told me your name.”
I took a deep breath and without looking at him pulled my hand from his grip and said, “Take a hike!” and walked away proudly. Ryuichi was still standing there, unsure what he’d done to get such an insult. But his mind was already made up. He’ll find out whoever she was, one way or another.
No comments:
Post a Comment